Re: UTF-8 encoding problems

From: jimmy2
Subject: Re: UTF-8 encoding problems
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 16:15:35 -0700 (PDT)

thanks for your response, Graydon.  Since my post I did further
investigation, and you're right; I was mistaken in thinking that the
characters I was inserting were in the UTF-8 encoding.  I am using debian
testing, and just installed the latest stable lilypond.  I generated the
characters with accents
using the character palette Gnome panel applet, but I guess they are not
UTF-8 encoded.
Here is an example, e with accent aigue: é.  It appears as it is supposed to
in my usual editors (pico, nedit).  On the other hand, in a working example
with German accents which I downloaded from lilypond, the special characters
don't look like what they are supposed to represent in these editors.
I need to figure out how to generate the characters I want in the correct
encoding.  Do you have any suggestions?--Jim