Re: Macro pre-processing?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Macro pre-processing?
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 14:55:09 +0200

Quoting Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>:

Graham Percival schreef:
In all honesty, I'm with Geoff on this one. All the #() stuff looks scary, and having the "parser location" "non-arguments" (I mean, they're never referenced in the actual code) was the straw that broke my

They are if you do real-world stuff. In particular, the location argument is there so you give a warning message with the correct line numbers, using

  (ly:input-message location "this is an error")

the "parser" argument is there so you can access parser state (eg. for defining new variables).

Another issue is that "real-world" stuff for you is something completely different than doing "real-world" stuff for most users. They want to be able to typeset music in an efficient way, you want to make a beautiful flexible program.

With all respect

  /Mats