Re: Alignment bug?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Alignment bug?
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 12:23:31 +0200

Quoting "Anthony W. Youngman" <address@hidden>:

In message <address@hidden>, Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> writes
I really recommend you to upgrade to the latest stable version, 2.8.x. If find the Cygwin command interface convenient, you can still use the
"native" Windows version available for download from www.lilypond.org
if you just include it in $PATH.

Bummer. It's a lot easier just to use cygwin itself ...

Well, the problem was that it was very trouble-some to make a Cygwin package of LilyPond that worked and nobody had the time or interest to maintain the Cygwin package. If you volounteer to do it, please feel free to give it another try. Also, as I have already said, you can easily use the "native" Windows version from within Cygwin.

Secondly, you shouldn't expect an example taken from one version of LilyPond to work directly with another version. So, for version 2.6.4, you should look at the manual for version 2.6, at least to learn the exact syntax and property names.

But it feels like a bug !!!

LilyPond has never been forward compatible. It's (almost) backward
compatible thanks to the convert-ly utility, though.

If the example works with "right", but not "left", it doesn't feel like something where the syntax has changed. It feels like something that's gone wrong!

Sorry to sound so negative, but even if you found a bug in version 2.6, nobody will care to fix it, since we have a new stable version
2.8.

In my earlier answer and so far in this answer, I haven't looked too
carefully at your exact question, but just tried to explain the general
problems of using older versions. However, I happened to have an installation of version 2.6 available and when I tried your example, I noticed that LilyPond writes out a warning:

type check for `self-alignment-X' failed; value `#<Music FingerEvent>' must be of type `number'

and I happen to recognize that you have indeed found an old bug, namely
that you couldn't use #left as an argument value. However, you can use
#LEFT instead.

   /Mats

Okay - I might just get the answer "upgrade to the latest version", but it would be nice to know whether it IS a bug, or whether I've just mis-understood the docu. I'll download the 2.6 docs, but I strongly suspect I'll find nothing has changed ...

 /Mats

Quoting address@hidden:

I've just copied the "commonly tweaked properties" alignment example from p174 of the 2.8 manual (section 8.1.3)

If I don't alter the alignment, my text is centre-justified. If I copy the example exactly, my text is right-justified, as expected.

If I change "right" to "left", it goes back to the centre default!

(Using the ?current cygwin version, 2.6.4)

Cheers,
Wol

as Lies-to-People.