Re: clef transposition: tenor -> bass

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: clef transposition: tenor -> bass
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 14:41:56 +0200

Roman wrote:

Okay, but my problem is, that a C in tenor clef isn't a C in bass clef and I don't know how a transposition between them needs to be!?

Of course a C is a C, no matter what clef you use. A tenor clef just tells that the middle C is placed on the second line, whereas a bass clef tells that the middle C is placed on the first leger line above the staff (or equivalently that the F below central C is placed on the second line). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenor_clef I still think that you are confusing things with the issue of transposing instruments, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transposing_instrument. I'm not an expert in brass instruments, but according to that article, trombones read at concort pitch,
i.e. they are not transposing.

  /Mats