Re: format conversion questions

From: Darius Blasband
Subject: Re: format conversion questions
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 11:51:09 +0200

Atte André Jensen wrote:

Darius Blasband wrote:

We are currently looking at the possibility of using Lilypond as typesetting back-end for Finale.

Sounds very interresting, at least I know now that serious people is
taking this seriously :-)

Well, I would definitely not consider myself serious :-) and the truth is that there are not so many people fascinated by these issues... My problem is that Finale is a good tool for me as a composer, as its playback facilities are unmatched (that is, as far as I've seen so far) but the scores it produces suck. And their part extraction facility is a joke.

So, having had some fantastic experience with Lilypond, this was a natural way to explore.

The Finale export of MusicXML seems to be decent (There was a bad glitch with old Finale 2005 versions though) and importing it in Sibelius gives appropriate results, except for percussion stuff, violin markups, rolled chords. There might be other defects in Sibelius's Finale's importer, as we have not performed a complete sanity check on this.

Does this mean that it's not possible to export musicxml directly from
sibelius?

As far as I know - I'm no Sibelius expert - you'll need a third party tool for this:
http://store.recordare.com/dolet3sib.html

The bad news is that it's a third party, so you'll have to pay extra. The good news is that it's a third party, so they are pretty commited to the task. On the darker side, it seems that the MusicXML import facility (flawed, as I indicated earlier)
is part of Sibelius.

P.S.: Any help at financing the MusicXML stuff is welcome... I think there is still somewhere around the 700 Euros to be spent on this before a "common" score can be translated seamlessly, with dynamics, annotations, grace notes, and tons of other depressing
        details...

Exactly what "MusicXML stuff" are you refferring to? The xml -> lilypond
or the export/import from finale/sibelius, or...?

xml -> lilypond

For the rest, I use recordare's plugins.

I might be able to raise money, if 1) the stuff will work reliably and
2) I can get a real project going developing this idea (my initial
"share music between teachers" thing) myself. Started to make phone
calls regarding the legal side of things, will know more tomorrow...

Darius.