RE: Feature request - jazz / bigband notation and caesurae[]

From: Ralph Little
Subject: RE: Feature request - jazz / bigband notation and caesurae[]
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 14:41:01 +0100

Hi,

> > E.g. cdoit-c'
> >
> > Not sure on what would be appropriate syntax though :(
>
> One problem is that the versions I'm used to don't really
> "go" anywhere. I'm going to look at this when I get a chance
> (probably some time next week), and write it up for Han-Wen.
> I guess we want one version to be a straight fall that
> attaches just to one note, and a second version that goes
> between notes.

If the version you mean about going between notes, I've usually seen the
glissando implementation that Lily already does using \glissando.

What I was thinking about regarding giving a "theoretical" note for the
other end of the marking would give a mechanism for judging where the
mark would end up physically on the staff relative to the real note,
rather than having to mess with measurements and paddings and the like
to get the right length of fall or doit.

So something like:

        c4\doit-c' would render a c crotchet, but the doit visually
would stretch up an octave and
        c4\fall-g, would render a shorter fall down a 4th (in distance
rather than musically)

I wasn't really thinking of where it goes when you play which is kinda
determined largely by the feel of the moment, of course :D

Then again, perhaps a default length would suffice mostly and require a
grob tweak to adjust the length for the unusual occasion where it is
required to be a bit longer or shorter.

The other issue of course is controlling the horizontal length of the
mark.
Not so sure there. I'm sure Han-Wen will have a view on that.

> ...hopefully a load of us will chip in and get
> it done ...

Yep, I'm up for that.
It is an issue that has come up a few times over the years, not to
mention the often asked "How do I get a jazz font?" :D
I'd get a lot of use out of it.

Cheers,
Ralph

TRIBAL TECHNOLOGY IS A MEMBER OF THE TRIBAL GROUP plc www.tribalgroup.co.uk
Access, copying, dissemination or re-use of information in it by anyone else is
unauthorised. If you have received this message in error, please contact the
sender as soon as possible.

This message has been scanned for viruses by Viatel MailControl