rest positioning failure - please help

From: Martin Bergande
Subject: rest positioning failure - please help
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 21:21:34 +0200

I would like to repeat my question how to position a "normal" rest in single
staff polyphony since I didn't get any answer. I would be very grateful if
anybody could help me. It is a while ago since I described the problem as
follows:

Dear all,

why does "b4/rest" in the following file.ly position the rest - exactly like
"r4" - to f'', while "a4/rest" and "c4/rest" would work as expected? Is there a
special command apart from tweaking to enforce the b' position?

martin

%%%%% start file.ly

\version "2.7.40"

\score {

  \context PianoStaff <<

    \new Staff  { \override Score.BarNumber #'break-visibility =
#all-invisible <<

% Sopran

      { \key f \major \relative c'
        { \partial 4*1 f a g a bes c2 a4\fermata
          d c bes a g a2 \fermata
          b4\rest c d e f e d2 c4\fermata
          a bes a g g f2.\fermata \bar "|." } } \\

% Alt

      { \relative c' { } } >>

}

    \new Staff { <<