Glissando fall/rises with no termination

From: Benedict Singer
Subject: Glissando fall/rises with no termination
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 22:12:08 -0500

Hi again, another Glissando related question,

This issue was brought up a while ago with the feature request dealing with falls, but I'm revisiting it for a piece I'm working on; the section in question is for pizz. cello, and I need a way to indicate the pitch rising or falling after plucking the note. If there's a better way than using \glissando then I'd love to hear about it, but until then this is what I have:

glissFall =
   #(define-music-function (parser location note) (ly:music?)
#{ $note \once \override NoteHead #'transparent = ##t \once \override Stem #'transparent = ##t \relative c { f,8 } #})

varVI = \relative c' {
   \clef bass
   \time 3/4
   \override Glissando #'style = #'zigzag

   \glissFall f,4*1/2\glissando r2
   \glissFall c'4*1/2\glissando r2
   \bar "||"
}

I'm looking for tips from the Scheme/LilyPond pros to make this a bit better. In particular, the ending note is currently hard-coded, so the gliss down from the F is much shorter than the one down from the C. Is there a way to use the note that \glissFall takes as input and modify it to construct the invisible note somehow? So that whatever note you \glissFall from, the glissando goes to an invisible note an octave, or two octaves, or some fixed interval, below the original note? The other thing is that this requires the input to have the duration scaled appropriately already so that the invisible eighth note can fit in - can this be done in the function too? The second issue is less of a concern than the first, since I anticipate using \glissFall on a wide variety of starting pitches, and having the falls be uniform in length would be excellent.

Thanks so much!

Benedict