Re: Stems and ties on artificial harmonics

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Stems and ties on artificial harmonics
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 14:36:33 -0400

Hello, John:

1.  The stem on the first artificial harmonic is on the wrong side
(I'm sure there's an easy fix for this that I'm overlooking,
but either way, this shouldn't be the default behavior).

That *isn't* the "default" behaviour -- I have no idea why Lilypond is doing that! =\

Anyway, here's a possible workaround:

%%% CODE SNIPPET BEGINS
stemFix = \once \override Stem #'X-offset = #0

top =
{
        e'''8.\flageolet \stemFix <eih' gih'\harmonic>16~
                <eih' gih'\harmonic>4~ <eih' gih'\harmonic>2
        \bar "|"
}

\context GrandStaff
<<
        \new Staff = "top" { \top }
        \new Staff = "bottom" { s2 }

%%% CODE SNIPPET ENDS

2.  The diamond shaped note should be tied with a dotted or dashed tie

I think you'd have to separate the notes into two different Voices (or at least Threads) in order to do that -- someone with more expertise (like Graham or Mats or Han-Wen) might be able to be of more assistance.

Best,
Kieren.