Re: Pronunciation of the author's names

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Pronunciation of the author's names
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:06:14 +0200

Shamus schreef:
Meeting Han-Wen last time I asked him how the name `Nieuwenhuizen'
actually does sound.  To make it short: I'll stay with `Jan' and

I'll take a stab at it, though I'm no expert at this kind of thing (the
words nine, when, and zen are the American English pronunciations): :-)

Nienhuys --> nine - hyoos
Nieuwenhuizen --> nee - oo - when - hoo - zen

Note that there are no accent marks given; my best guess is that they
would fall on the second to last syllable in each case. This is also
most likely the wrong pronunciation in any case.

So how did I do? Did I get anywhere close? :-)

close but not quite:

  nienhuys = 'neen huh-iss
  nieuwenhuizen = 'nee wunn huh-izz zunn

(where huh-i is a monosyllabic dipthong, so slide from uh to ih smoothly.)

Han-Wen Nienhuys - address@hidden -

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation