AllAbout Examples

From: Fairchild
Subject: AllAbout Examples
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 13:34:43 -0500

LilyPond documentation is good.  Newbies get started quickly with the User
Manual.  Regression Tests and Tips and Tricks contain a wealth of tutorial
material.  The Program Reference has detail for the initiated.

However, based in my own experience and many postings on
address@hidden, I perceive a need for information that falls between
content of tutorial and reference documentation -- more detailed than the
tutorial material and less cryptic than the internals reference.

I propose using the rendered "Examples" section of the documentation (now
empty) to post a series of AllAbouts, prepared by users, each being an
in-depth example of a narrow set of features: fonts, layout, header,
embedded PostScript, rests, lyrics, tuplets, markup, etc.  (The user
perspective is valuable to identify information found difficult to extract
from existing documentation.)

(I have good starts at a couple of such examples. One,
AllAboutAlternateScaling.ly is an example demonstrating scaling of things
entered on staves.
 - - It's primary purpose is to scale cue notes, cadenzas, and alternate
notes.
 - - It includes some Scheme code.
 - - It exposes some unexplained and inconsistent things.
 - - It could be useful as a regression test.
 - - It is intended to be used with jEdit, fixed-width font, tab stops every
5 characters.)

Please comment on the proposal.  Would AllAbouts be useful to you?  Would
you be willing to contribute?  Who is now responsible for the Examples?  Who
is willing and able to manage postings?

                              - Bruce