RE: AllAbout Examples

From: Fairchild
Subject: RE: AllAbout Examples
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 11:09:26 -0500

Graham -

You imply that "convert" doesn't upgrade cleanly or that those with newer
versions don't use it.  (I have found significant shortcomings converting ly
files.)  This is just one reason to dread leaving 2.4.6 behind.  (Never
tried 2.6.)  The only identified selfish reason to upgrade is the ability to
use \markup unattached.  Otherwise, 2.4.6 does everything I want to do.  It
is very solid!  Why is it no longer available for download?

There are many concerns supporting procrastination beyond the installation
and setup effort.  Will 2.4.6 and 2.8.? coexist on an XP machine without
interaction?  Including two instantiations of jEdit?  What does convert
leave hanging?  How does functionality change post cygwin?  What is the
effect on fonts?  How will spacing/layout change?  The recent post "Moving
to 2.8.4--a nightmare?" reinforces my reticence.

For those, like me, building and maintaining a library of scores, changing
ly versions is a big deal.  The AllAbout examples should be welcomed in any
version.  Just need a posting repository available to all.

                            - Bruce