Re: Some general comments

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Some general comments
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 02:16:10 -0700

Ian Hawthorn wrote:
1. An extra lyric line is needed for harmony parts for a few bars.

2. An extra staff and lyric line for a soloist is required for one section.

To add an extra staff, look up "ossia".  It works something like this:

{
c4 c c c
<< {c4 c c c}
\new Staff { e4 e e e }

c4 c c c
}

For more details, search the documentation and LSR. I'm not certain how to add lyrics to this, since I don't do vocal music.

3. The lyrics for one section need to be aligned to a different part
than they are in the rest of the piece.

I believe that this point was addressed in some recent documentation work (in the 2.9 docs; not yet available in the 2.8 docs).

There are workarounds for these things I know, some in the
documentation and some in the examples or discussed in this forum.
But they are NOT easy to use and here is why.

To an arranger these are simple events which happen at a
particular time and which you'd like to deal with via a simple
command at the point where they happen

I think the ossia example is fairly easy. Lyrics may be much harder to deal with; I don't know.

Cheers,
- Graham