Re: Moving a word at the beginning of a chart ?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Moving a word at the beginning of a chart ?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:35:12 -0400

Joe:

Recently I have tried notating music with Lilypond. I have to say it's been a very frustrating and arduous experience.

Sorry to hear that -- I used Finale for over a decade, Igor Engraver for several years, and even Sibelius for a little while, but find Lilypond to be far less frustrating and arduous than those applications. =)

I would like to know how to move the word "Swing" at the top of my little
sax transposition chart so that it lines up with the tempo marking.

There are at least a dozen ways I can think of to accomplish what you are asking -- one would be to use the #'extra-offset feature to manually move each item to the desired location, e.g.,

        \override Score.RehearsalMark #'extra-offset = #'(-0.4 . 2.6)
        \mark \markup {\small \bold { Swing }}
        \override Score.MetronomeMark #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 3)
        \tempo 4=112

This is not necessarily the best way to fix your example, nor would it be my final recommendation, but it's the one that alters your original code the least.

Regards,
Kieren.

p.s. For the record, I'd personally put both the tempo and metronome markings in the same \markup...