Re: New user + notation queries

From: Eduardo Vieira
Subject: Re: New user + notation queries
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 18:22:41 -0300

Hello, I don't really understand what you want your score to look like about
those invisible notehead. Maybe you could post a small picture of what you
can
do using Finale. And we would see to the right solution.

Joseph wrote:
>>> (2) In the second bar, you can see that there are sometimes rests in one
>>> voice while the other voice is playing.  What I want is, first, that the
>>> rests be invisible, but second, that there be short stems where the
>>> "notes" (or rests) would be.  I tried using s (as in "skip") but did not
>>> get any beams or stems.
>>>

>> That was an uncommon request! The best way I can think of to get the
>> stems but
>> no note heads is to use ordinary notes but make the note heads invisible:
>> \override NoteHead #'transparent = ##t
>
> Uncommon requests are my speciality, I'm very picky about how I want my
> scores to look! :-)  My instinctive thought would have been to do what I
> would do in Finale, which is first to request both beams and stems over
> rests, and then make the rests invisible.  But I would imagine the first
> part isn't possible...?  I saw from the manual that getting beams to
> extend over rests was supported, but saw nothing about adding stems in.
>
> What frustrates me about the solution you propose is that it's a "cheat"
> that takes away from what I have already learned to love about Lilypond,
> its attempt to create correspondence between notation and the logical
> structure of the music.
>
> The reason why I want this particular notation, btw, is that the passage
> is a mixed multiphonic/monophonic passage and I want to represent both
> the two voices and the continuous sound that results.

>>> (3) Is it possible to get alternative quarter-tone symbols?  In
>>> particular I don't like the 3/4-flat sign; I'd much rather have the
>>> combined backwards-flat plus ordinary flat "db" sign.  In other pieces I
>>> might want to use accidentals-with-arrows as sometimes that seems to be
>>> a preferable option.
>>>

>> You could try something like:
>>
>> \once \override Accidental #'stencil = #ly:text-interface::print
>> \once \override Accidental #'
>
> OK.  There isn't a way to write into the setup once and for all, "the
> 3/4-flat accidental is ..." ?

Maybe you can create a variable and add it to
share\lilypond\current\ly\property-init.ly