I have made some clarification on the \octave directive

From: Charles Cave
Subject: I have made some clarification on the \octave directive
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 15:41:55 +1000

I have been struggling to understand the documentation of \octave
in section 6.2.2  (Lilypond 2.8.3 documentation - PDF file page 85)

The key to how this works is if the following sentence is reworded:
    This checks that pitch (without quotes) yields pitch (with quotes) in
    \relative mode. If not,
    a warning is printed, and the octave is corrected.

 I have a suggestion for the documentaion. Change the above sentence to
 read

    This checks that pitch (without quotes) yields pitch (with quotes) in
    \relative mode
    compared to the note given in the \relative directive.

 I thought the \octave was referred to the absolute octave if you
 referred to Middle C   as c'

 I hope this suggestion helps.....

 Now I am using the  The \octave directive to make sure I am in the
 correct octave.

 \version "2.8.3"
 \score {
     \new Staff <<
     \relative c''' {
       c b a g f e d
       % should now have reached the C above middle C

       \octave c''
       c b a g f e d
      % should now have reached Middle C

       \octave c'
       c \clef bass b a g f e d
       % should now have reached the C below Middle C

       \octave c
       c b a g f e d

       \octave c
       c b a g f e d

       % Now lets start a new melody on the C above Middle C
       \octave c''
       \clef treble
       c d c b c
     }