Re: Pango font availability

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Pango font availability
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 14:38:11 -0400

Hi, Mats:

See the information text for the example "font-family-override.ly"
in the Regression tests document.

Thanks, but that doesn't actually solve my specific issue...

I'm not trying to change the default font set for the whole document (which is what the "font-family-override.ly" docs show) -- rather, I'm trying to 1. determine precisely the set of fonts that Pango currently has available; 2. determine precisely what the conditions are that Pango uses to find fonts; 3. determine how to make Pango-phobic fonts Pango-philic (for use in titles, markup, etc).

For #1 and #2, the following thread response helped: <http:// lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2006-07/msg00265.html>

Essentially, you can use #(ly:font-config-display-fonts) to display the Pango-d font set, and the criteria (according to the author) is that "Pango on OSX can only use Truetype fonts (including dfonts) that contain only one font variant".

As for #3, I'm currently concluding that I need to use FontForge to generate single-variant TT fonts for each of the fonts I'm hoping to use in a Lilypond score. If I determine differently, I'll certainly update the list (and, where appropriate, the docs).

I'll add the corresponding information to the manual.

Thanks! That will definitely help people who want to change the default font tree.

Cheers,
Kieren.