lyrics running wider than the staff

From: Michael Haynie
Subject: lyrics running wider than the staff
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 20:34:32 -0400

Greetings:

Since I've moved to 2.8 from 2.2, I've been having trouble with the lyrics -- the last word (syllable) of the last measure of a line frequently runs out into the right margin. At best, it's ugly. At the worst, the word is cut off when I print. I've searched the docs and the archives, but I can't seem to guess the right keywords.

Is there some flag or variable I should set to get Lilypond to consider the width of the lyrics attached to notes of the melody when placing notes and breaking lines?

Thanks.