Re: winxp - delay and filenames

From: Frédéric Bron
Subject: Re: winxp - delay and filenames
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 08:25:12 +0200

1. Even with a very small input file, I find a delay of 4-5 seconds after invoking lilypond before I see anything happening. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? It's the same whether I type "lilypond filename" in a console window, or invoke lilypond through an editor interface. I've used Latex a lot, which seems to work much faster - but then music processing is more complicated than text.

It is strange because I had exaclty the same problem but I have just installed 2.8.5 to check and now it is much quicker: 1.6 seconds (Pentium M, 1.86 GHz) for the following very small example: { c d e f g a b } I am using 2.8.5 with Windows XP and I call the windows version of Lilypond from Cygwin (not using the cygwin version). However, when I try it from DOS, it takes exactly the same time but the behaviour is different: the program stops immediately and later, a black windows pops up very quickly.

2.  It seems that lilypond can read files with long names, but it writes
.ps and .pdf files in 8+4 format. So if I use a filename with more than 8 characters, the output files have apparently different names. Is there any way to get it to output .ps files with the same name as the input file?

Never experienced such a problem. I have tried both from Cygwin and from DOS: it works,

F. Bron