Rhythmic Staff not squashing out all the notes

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Rhythmic Staff not squashing out all the notes
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 14:19:16 -0700 (PDT)

I'm trying to make a simple chord sheet with underlying rhythmic staff,
(chord names with durations).  But the rhythmic staff is not "squashing out"
all the notes as the manual says it should.  To avoid typing I would hope
there is a way to get rhythmic staff to only recognize durations and ignore
notes (so I only have to code my chord progression and not a separate stream
of notes for the rhythm durations).  Is there a way?  Here is some sample
code using the chord progression for the tune "Stormy Weather" it should run
as-is and result apparent:  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

% begin sample code

\version "2.8.5"
\include "english.ly"

varTime = { \time 4/4 }

varChordProgression = {

%0
\partial 4 s4
        \repeat volta 3 {
%1
\transpose c af <c e g>2
\transpose c af <c ef gf>2

%2
\transpose c bf <c ef g bf>2
\transpose c ef <c e g bf>2

%3
\transpose c af <c e g>1

%4
\transpose c bf <c ef g bf>2
\transpose c ef <c e g bf>2

%5
\transpose c af <c e g>1

%6
\transpose c bf <c ef g bf>2
\transpose c ef <c e gs bf>2

        }
%7
        \alternative {
        {
\transpose c af <c e g>2
\transpose c f <c ef g bf>2

%8
\transpose c bf <c ef g bf>2
\transpose c ef <c e g bf>2

        }
        {
%9
\transpose c af <c e g>2
\transpose c f <c ef g bf>2

%10
\transpose c df <c e g>4
\transpose c af <c e g>2.

%11
\transpose c bf <c ef g bf>2
\transpose c ef <c e g bf>2

%12
\transpose c af <c e g>2
\transpose c af <c e g bf>2

        }
        {
\override Staff.VoltaBracket #'font-name = #"Arial"
\set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta "Fine"))
%13
\transpose c af <c e g>1

%14
\transpose c bf <c ef g bf>2
\transpose c ef <c e gs bf>2

%15
\transpose c af <c e g>1

%16
\transpose c af <c e g>1

%17
\transpose c df <c e g>2
\transpose c d <c ef gf>2

%18
\transpose c af <c e g>1

%19
\transpose c df <c e g>2
\transpose c d <c ef gf>2

%20
\transpose c af <c e g>1

%21
\transpose c df <c e g>2
\transpose c d <c ef gf>2

%22
\transpose c af <c e g>2
\transpose c df <c e g>4
\transpose c af <c e g>4

%23
\transpose c c <c ef g bf>2
\transpose c f <c e g bf>2

%24
\transpose c bf <c e g bf>2
\transpose c ef <c e g bf>2

}

\header {
     title = "Stormy Weather"
}

\score {

{

   <<

   \new ChordNames \with {
      \consists Bar_engraver
      \consists Volta_engraver
      \consists Percent_repeat_engraver
      voltaOnThisStaff = ##t
        chordChanges = ##f
        chordNameSeparator = \markup { \hspace #0.45 }
      %\override BarLine #'bar-size = #3.5
      \override VoltaBracket #'padding = #-1.0
      \override VoltaBracket #'Y-offset = #6.0
      \override VoltaBracket #'font-size = #-5.5
      \override ChordName #'font-size = #-.5
        \override VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-first = ##t
      \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(5 . 5)
   }
   {
      \varChordProgression
   }