Re: Sponsored feature request--partially-tied chords

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Sponsored feature request--partially-tied chords
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 17:39:57 +0200

Steve D wrote:
On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 10:55:05AM +0200, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
it's easiest to add a property so you can do
  <c e \tweak #'forbid-tie = ##t g bes>
cost: 65 EUR.

Werner LEMBERG then asked:
Just wondering what the much simpler syntax
 <c~ e~ g b~>
costs...

Han-Wen Nienhuys responded:
I can put it in for 35 eur extra,  I hope.
(the tie engraver is quite tricky, and handling <c~ e~> offers more potential for bugs)

After thinking about it for awhile, I agree with Werner and like his
idea better also, if it can be done. Aside from being clear and simple
(to the end user), it can save a lot of typing, especially because when
lots of partially-tied chords appear in a piece of music as the result
of a rhythmic or other motive.

SO--

<c~ e g bes~> would mean that only the c and b-flat would be tied

<c e g bes>~ would mean that the whole chord would be tied

<c~ e g bes~>~ would mean--well, LilyPond would issue an error message?
The whole-chord tie would take precedence? ;-)

After some thought, I agree with Werner (as usual), and I've changed the implementation to do this.

Erik, can you look over my use of stream events vs. events in tie-engraver.cc? I have the feeling that the dichotomy between both is a bit ugly, but is there currently another way?

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com