How to generate a counter for repeated bars

From: ian_hulin
Subject: How to generate a counter for repeated bars
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 14:18:40 -0700 (PDT)

Please forgive me if this is an obvious case of RTFM, but how do you get to
disply a counter over a section of repeated bars.  I am using using unfold
as I don't want any actual ||:  . . .  :|| sections in the part.  I know
there are counters available for things like percent repeats and suchlike.
I there any property or variable I can set to get the desired result?

For example I want to get \repeat unfold 4 {c4 d e f |} to generate

      1          2        3         4
| c d e f |c d e f|c d e f|c d e f|

I'm still learning the music notation syntax and haven't tried the delights
of customizing Lilypond with scheme yet.

Thanks in advance for any advice on cracking this one.

Ian Hulin
Sent from the Gnu - Lilypond - User forum at