Re: Minimum padding after barlines for notes with accidentals?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Minimum padding after barlines for notes with accidentals?
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:16:37 -0400

Hi, Rick!

There is a problem with notes that both start a measure and have an accidental.
[...] I can't be the first one to notice it).

If you search the archives, you'll see that I've asked this question a number of times.
And it's also true of other "left-side attachements", e.g., arpeggios.

I've yet to receive a satisfactory response/solution/explanation.  =\

What I've been doing in the meantime is manually tweaking the X- extent of the Accidental (or BarLine) to force the padding, e.g.

    \once \override Accidental #'X-extent = #'(-2 . 1) bs

It's definitely a time-consuming process, but I haven't found a better solution -- if you find one, I'd greatly appreciate hearing about it! =)

Best,
Kieren.