Re: Swing Midi

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: Swing Midi
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 17:26:20 +0200

On Friday 15 September 2006 00:47, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> David Greene wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I searched the archives and found a few discussions about
> > generating swing-feel MIDI from straight eighths Lily
> > source but the most recent was from 2004.
> >
> > I was thinking about writing a Scheme function to carve
> > up all of the durations into units of eighths, inserting
> > the proper ties to maintain longer notes.  Then I could
> > imagine altering the durations as appropriate to implement
> > the swing feel.

If you want to make the programming easy, and if it's OK to sacrifice note
entry speed, then I'd recommend that you mark all swing notes somehow, e.g.
by putting them inside braces, two by two:
{ c c } { c c }
Then it's easy to write a music function that finds all SequentialMusics with
two elements, and which manipulates the durations of those elements.

If you want to do something more generic (something you can apply on any
existing ly score), then you may want to consider using music streams. Music
streams are a new concept in 2.9, and nobody has used them yet AFAIK.
However, I can try to guide you if you're interested. (I would guess htat
this solution can be coded entirely in Scheme)

--
Erik