Re: identifiers

From: Mike Amundsen
Subject: Re: identifiers
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 11:54:45 -0500

Thanks Mats.
  I've been trying to get up to speed reading flex/bison again and plan on rebuilding with the compiler debug setting on to work this out. I suspected there was probably a discussion about this but didn't find anything about the design decision in the archives. I'll keep digging & experimenting to satifsy my curiousity.

 I did discover that identifiers needed to be alpha only in the documentation although I didn't look until after I tried:      'CMaj7 = { <snip> }' .  That has everything to do with my learning style and nothing to do with the documentation.

Thanks for you help,
Mike

On 9/23/06, Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> wrote:
Quoting Mike Amundsen <address@hidden>:

> While creating identifiers for fret diagrams I found the identifiers
> can be alpha only. I've searched the archives to see if there was a
> discussion that described the reasons for that constraint. I'd guess
> it's for reasons of simplicity and/or something to do with the
> interoperability of C and Scheme.

My guess is that the problem rather is that numbers are used for
durations in the music, so it's probably a matter of parser complexity.

This limitation was introduced many years ago and we had other mailing
list names at that time, so I'm afraid the archives
may be lost.

I hope you have found that the limitation is described in the manual,
in the section on "File structure".

> Thanks to all who have contributed to the development of lilypond. I'm
> still a beginner but having lots of fun creating some great looking
> output.

  /Mats