Re: why doesn't Y-offset work for Hairpins?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: why doesn't Y-offset work for Hairpins?
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 09:16:17 +0200

Actually, setting Y-offset does have an influence of the layout, as soon as you have several dynamic indications next to each other, see for example the following slightly
modified version of your example:
   \version "2.9.17"
   \layout { ragged-right = ##t }
   {
       \once \override Score.Hairpin #'Y-offset = #6
       \relative c' {c1\> c1\! \f }
   }

So, the Y-offset determines the vertical position within the group of dynamic indications that together are handled by a single DynamicLineSpanner object.
Again, this is completely analogous to what happens with rehearsal marks,
where you can still use \left-align to determine the alignment between different
objects within the same \markup{...}, for example in
\mark \markup{\column{ \right-align AAA \left-align BBB }}

  /Mats

Marcus Macauley wrote:
Kieren MacMillan wrote:
In the meantime, you can use
    \once \override DynamicLineSpanner #'padding = #6
which is what I *always* use anyway!  =)

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
The explanation may be something similar as the explanation in the section on "Text Markup" on why \left-align doesn't have any effect
for RehearsalMark objects.

It seems you are both right.

Kieren, your suggestion works perfectly.

And I now notice at the bottom of the Dynamics page --
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.9/Documentation/user/lilypond/Dynamics.html
-- the following note under "See also":

"Program reference: DynamicText, Hairpin. Vertical positioning of these symbols is handled by DynamicLineSpanner."

That should have clued me in. But I wonder why "Hairpin" even has a "Y-offset" setting -- listed at http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.9/Documentation/user/lilypond-internals/Hairpin.html -- if it doesn't do anything. As part of grob-interface, sure. But to have it listed separately on the Hairpin page, seems unnecessary and confusing to me. There are many other grobs which have no such setting listed.

Anyway, thanks to both of you for your quick and helpful responses!

Marcus

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems