The file changes; lilypond doesn't notice

From: Marcus Macauley
Subject: The file changes; lilypond doesn't notice
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 12:28:06 -0400

I'm using Lilypond 2.9.17 on Gentoo Linux, with jEdit 4.3pre6 and LilypondTool 2.8.

Sometimes when I make a change or a few changes to the score (and save the file, of course) and then run Lilypond again (from within jEdit, using LilypondTool), it doesn't notice my changes, and simply outputs the following:

Processing `/my/lilypond/file.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...
Processing time: 1 seconds

When this happens, I can often force it to "take another look" by adding or commenting out a line which makes a major change, or causes a syntax error, or something like that. But sometimes (like now) I find myself just stuck. I'll add fourteen open braces to the beginning in the middle of the score block, run Lilypond again, and it acts as if nothing has changed and everything is normal.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is it a Lilypond problem or a LilypondTool problem? Any suggestions for how to fix it, or how to circumvent it, i.e. how to "refresh" Lilypond (short of saving my file under a new name)?

BTW, I've noticed that sometimes the .ly file I'm working on also has a .log file in the same directory, so deleting that "refreshes" Lilypond. But sometimes (like now) there is no .log file to be found.

And also, BTW, I haven't changed any of the LilypondTool configuration settings in jEdit. The Lilypond command is listed simply as "lilypond".

Thanks,
Marcus