Wishlist for Guitar (or string) features (newbie!)

From: Andy Denley
Subject: Wishlist for Guitar (or string) features (newbie!)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 16:17:44 +1300

Hi,

I dont know if I should be saying this in this forum, but I have a wish list for guitar related stuff. I am just a newbie and still trying to get a hold of the syntax but I have found some stuff that is a bit lacking in the guitar arena. Or maybe is not documented clearly? Maybe this is because guitarists have avoided using lilypond and thus not enough development (I know you guys are over worked as it is) I dont know.

But stuff I would like to see in lilypond
Hammer-On's
Pull-Off's
Slides (maybe another way of doing it inside lilypond but I havent found it)

Tablature related:
I know the chord features inside tab arent great. But would it be possible to define a tab chord and place it inside tab? For example:

\tabchord Aminor <a:m 6,x 5,0 4,2 3,2 2,1 1,0>

So "Aminor" is the chordname we use for inside the tab
<a:m is the note and major / minor>
6,x 5,0 4,2 3,2 2,1 1,0 is the six strings in the guitar (EADGBE)
6,x (string, fret to be played (x not played 0 is open)

\new TabStaff

{ Aminor:8 Aminor Aminor etc etc}

it may be a bit messy but it seems logical? Maybe?

So I hope this makes sense and please excuse my ignornance if this is done some other way. I think I might have to get a "LilyPond Guitar FAQ together" as additional to the tutorial. There are a LOT of guitarists out there and really this is a far better tool then I have seen that is for Linux/Win32/Mac environments.

Thoughts and comments?

Andy D (Engineer and Guitarist!)