Re: utf-8

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: utf-8
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 22:53:38 +0100

It seems that Xemacs differs from ordinary Gnu Emacs when it comes to
internationalization support (at least on Windows). I found the
following information in the FAQ for Xemacs:

Q1.3.1: What is the status of internationalization support aka MULE
(including Asian language support?

Both the stable and development versions of XEmacs include
internationalization support (aka MULE).  MULE currently (21.4) works on
UNIX and Linux systems.  It is possible to build with MULE on Windows
systems, but if you really need MULE on Windows, it is recommended that
you build and use the development (21.5) version, and deal with the
instability of the development tree.  Binaries compiled without MULE
support run faster than MULE capable XEmacsen.

which probably explains all your problems. I use Gnu Emacs in Windows
which doesn't have any of these limitations in the MULE support.

However, I recommend you to look at the Xemacs FAQ, since it has several
questions and answers related to Unicode.

  /Mats

Quoting dubcek <address@hidden>:

Due to my clumsiness, I sent a message erroneously to answer your reply to a
query I made in last August concerning the same problem (as well as another
problem which I have solved meanwhile). As you may have read in the message
I sent just a few minutes ago, I solved the problem by using notepad after
having tried out your kind suggestion about using C-x RET f (and then type
utf-8). I also tried your other suggestion that you say worked on an old
emacs version, but that didn't work either. My nth installment of XEmacs is
XEmacs 21.4 (patch 19) which cannot be said to be old.
But now I noticed that, if I open the text file of Notepad in Xemacs, the
utf-8 for the accent circonflexe appears to have completely changed its
appearance.
The weird thing is that, if I type the letter â (a with an accent
circonflexe) in an Emacs file it appears exactly as I want it. But if I open
a  notepad text file that contains an â in  in XEmacs, I obtain the capital
letter A capped by an ~ and flanked by a cross between an o and a ç.
Whatever the case may be, all is not well.
dubcek

Mats Bengtsson-4 wrote:

Open the file in Emacs, press CTRL-x Return f and enter: utf-8
You should see a "-u" at the bottom left corner of the window.
Then, the next time you save the file, it should be in UTF-8.

This didn't work for me the first time I tried it, since I had
an old .emacs file that changed some of the default settings. What
helped then (as a temporary fix until I had cleaned up my .emacs file)
was Meta-x toggle-enable-multibyte-characters.

   /Mats

Quoting dubcek <address@hidden>:

For about a year now. I have been using Lilypond. I was very happy with
it,
very very happy. Until the day that I tried to write a French title in
which
there was a letter with an accent.
Ever since, no matter what I have done, I have failed to produce a pdf
file
that displayed the character properly.
I am using a Windows XP machine.
First I used the lilypond offered through cygwin. That worked until I
tried
the letter with the accent.
I have used emacs through cygwin, then the latest version of Xemacs
without
Cygwin. Nothing worked.
I updated lilypond through cygwin only to get no characters at all any
more.
When I read that it was better to use lilypond for Windows, I switched
(the
characters now were better than ever before, but still no character with
an
accent.
Finally, I switched editors, tried Editpad. To no avail.
I have spent innumerable hours trying to solve the problem. There must be
simple solution, for I have seen a source file with the line in the
header
saying inputencoding="utf-8". I copied that trick. Lilypond handled it
without protesting. But no accented character.
Who can tell me in clear language how to lick the problem?

Thanks.
dubcek.