Re: proportional notation screws up score

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: proportional notation screws up score
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 15:26:55 -0600

On 12/3/06, Orm Finnendahl <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Trevor, Han-Wen,

thanks a lot for your efforts to help me out and thanks a lot for your
ideas and thoughts! Sorry if I sounded desperate. Trevor's post seems
to indicate that it might not work out to get everything perfectly
aligned (although I was very close for the first three lines before
the spacing engine freaked out).  I can live with that at the moment
if I can get it "roughly" correct by aligning the barlines of the
graph and the music at every tempo change for example. The musicians
will have a rehearsal CD anyway to relate their playing to the tape.

If I got it right, I should skip the whole idea of changing the value
of the proportionalNoteDuration during the piece.

My questions:

1. How do I change the spacing-increment in mid-music?

I tried \override Score.SpacingSpanner #'space-increment = #2.8

but this seems to set the spacing increment once and for all. Changing
Staff.SpacingSpanner didn't seem to change anything.

See mail from just a second ago, but short answer:

\newSpacingSection
\override Score.SpacingSpanner #'space-increment = #2.8

If that is impossible the minimum I could get away with would be to
set ragged-right to ##f and set the width of each staff system to
align with the graph. But as far as I understood, the page-width can
only get globally set in the \page layout block. Is there a way?

I wouldn't do this; real proportional scores should be ragged right on
nearly every line (depending on the rhythmic duration of the line, of
course) and ragged-right = ##t is the semantically correct way to do
this in Lily.

Am 03. Dezember 2006, 10:29 Uhr (-0600) schrieb Trevor Bača:
> So if you have time after you finish the violin piece, perhaps wecould
> together contact Han-Wen and ask first for advice on what suchan
> enhancement might look like (like how would a "graph paper" spacingpackage
> get turned on and off, and how could it be reset in mid-inputto accommodate
> tempo changes as occur here in the violin piece?) andsecond on whether we
> could sponsor such work sometime in the 2.11series of releases.
> If you're interested, please let me know and I'll be happy to sponsor.

Great idea! I'm in of course, thanks for the offer!

Yes, of course; however, it sounds like Han-Wen's suggestions from
earlier today probably *can* get really true proportional spacing, if
all settings are used correctly in concert with each other.

Try stripping out all spacing settings *except immediately following a
\newSpacingSection command* and see if that gets it. And make sure to
set uniform-stretching = ##t to that you measure-long skips get spaced
correctly, too.

And if you can get it, then it sure would be nice to prepare a page of
your score as a HOW-TO for inclusion in the manual (which I'd be happy
to coauthor with you). OTOH, if we definitely can not produce true
proportional spacing from the existing package, then my offer for
sponsorship is of course still open (I just don't want to ask Han-Wen
for work that we don't actually need!).

Good luck!

--
Trevor Bača