Re: lilypond and editors

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: lilypond and editors
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:23:43 +0000

In message <address@hidden>, Bertalan Fodor <address@hidden> writes
Certainly not. Actually the java code is compiled to machine code at runtime. This is slower than precompiling, but the compiled code can run faster than its precompiled counterpart, because the runtime machine will have information about how often a certain part of the code is called, and those calls can be made inline. Running inline code is much faster than procedure calls.

Bert

Java code is actually a form of p-code (p standing for pseudo). Pseudo-code engines CAN be blindingly fast.

There's a lot of history behind pseudo-code - like UCSD pascal for example, or the example dear to me, the Pick system. At least one system I ran implemented a lot of the Pick instruction code set in microcode, and indeed, I understand that is the way the transputer works.

Any system with access to the first stage of a processor's pipeline and the ability to redefine it (ie any decent modern processor - don't know if that definition includes x86 :-) should be able to run p-code at the same sort of speed as "native" code.

Cheers,
Wol