Re: Absolute Spanish Beginners

From: luis jure
Subject: Re: Absolute Spanish Beginners
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 09:20:33 -0300

El Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:29:38 -0600
Daniel Tonda Castillo <address@hidden> escribió:

> Professional musicians in Mexico usually refer to "Clave de Sol"
> meaning G clef. In popular slang, people refer to the "Llave de Sol",
> meaning G Clef. So as to not alienate anyone, initially I thought
> that including both terms would encompass a broader spectrum.

i'm not sure yet that is a good idea. personally, i never heard the
expression "llave de sol". is it used anywhere outside a particular
group of musicians in mexico? and everywhere in mexico? including every
slang of every region where spanish is spoken could be more confusing
than illuminating. "clave de sol" is the correct international spanish
term, and as far as i know understood everywhere, so i don't think it's
necessary to include alternate terms. it would be different if we were
talking about an established regional difference, like between spain and
latin america, for example.

i'm sorry i'm leaving on holidays for a month, i would like to
collaborate on the spanish translation. i've been teaching theory
and harmony for so many years, that i have very strong opinions on
terminological issues... :-)

best,

lj