Re: How do I fit lyrics?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: How do I fit lyrics?
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 09:30:36 +0100

The basic principle is described in the section on "Divisi lyrics" in the manual. Just give a name to the corresponding part and use \lyricsto as usual. Something
along the lines of
bass = \relative c {
\time 3/4
% First part of the song, with lyrics in unison:
c2. | g | e | g | ...
% Here start the divisi lyrics:
\new Voice = bassDivisi {
\time 4/4
f4 f r2 | e4 e r2 | ...

and then within the \score:
\new Lyrics \lyricsto bassDivisi {When we've ... }

  /Mats

Father Gordon Gilbert wrote:
Hi list!

Can someone tell me where in the manual I can find how to fit lyrics to other voices?

What I'm doing is arranging a hymn for Barbershop chorus, and in the last stanza, I want to do a call-and-response thing, changing the rhythm from 3 to 4 (I've managed that part) and using the extra beat to have interaction between the parts, thus:

             when we've              been there \
| ten thousand years ...
When we've            been there              /

So while the leads (second voice, same place as alto in SATB) have the regular words associated with their line, the tenors (in soprano place) and baritones and basses (on bass clef) will sing alternate words directly keyed to their line of music. I've seen it done, but I simply can't find how in the manual.
Windows XP Pro, LilyPond 2.11.14, jEdit 4.3 pre9 with Lilypond Tool

Can someone help?

Blessings,

Fr. Gordon Gilbert

        Mats Bengtsson