Re: Reorganizing the contents of the \paper block

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: Reorganizing the contents of the \paper block
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 12:47:56 -0600

On 2/7/07, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:
Trevor Bača escreveu:
> On 2/7/07, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Trevor Bača escreveu:
>>

>> > I wouldn't ask except for the fact that I've now been laying out score
>> > very successfully with lily for going on two years and I still have to
>> > stop and ask myself "Hmm ... I'm wanting to pad systems on the page so
>> > that they lay out more loosely. So that concerns layout and I'll look
>> > for settings over here in the \layout block. Oh wait. Settings for
>> > system layout live in the \paper block ..."
>>
>> the \layout block only affects what's in a score. Page layout (margins,
>> titles, etc) fall outside that and therefore are in the \paper block.
>> Perhaps better names can be found for paper/layout; suggestions
>> appreciated.
>
> Hmmm.
>
> Just thinking out loud here ... so there's an inside-of-score /
> outside-of-score dichotomy going on here. I don't think I had ever
> realized that ...
>
> So that means that ragged-right (which currently lives in \layout) is
> perceived as inside-of-score, whereas ragged-bottom (which currently
> lives in \paper) is outside-of-score?

yes. However, \layout settings default to what is in the \paper block,
so ragged-right may also be defined in the \paper{} block.

OK.

Hm. So ragged-right can live in the *\layout* block (and have
score-level scope). Or ragged-right can live in the *\paper* block
(and have file-level scope).

Would it make more sense to have the idea that ragged-right only ever
live in a \layout block, together with the companion idea that there
can be both score-level \layout blocks and also one file-level \layout
block?

--
Trevor Bača
address@hidden