Re: Reorganizing the contents of the \paper block

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Reorganizing the contents of the \paper block
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 15:22:46 +0100

Carl D. Sorensen wrote:
On a related note, I think it would be cleaner to _always_ require users to put in the
necessary scope levels, i.e. don't have lilypond put the \book block in by default.  It
would make it a bit harder to get started, but would make it much easier to move from the
"beginning user" stage to doing complicated scores.
Honestly, how many of you have ever used several \book blocks in the
same file (which is the only reason ever to to use an explicit \book block)?
Therefore, I don't think it's a good idea to make the \book compulsory.
On the other hand, I have argued a number of times that we should make
\score{...} compulsory. Primarily for the benefit of beginners, since it
makes it much more clear what lines in a file that really result in any
output and which are just macro definitions. I have seen many question
on the mailing list that are related to the fact that people don't realize
what becomes a \score and what doesn't.
Also, for more experienced users it give a natural starting point when you
look at a .ly file that you wrote yourself some year ago or that somebody else has written, just like I always start by looking or the main() function when
looking at a C or C++ program.
Then, again, I don't think it would be a good idea to force people to
enter all scope levels. Then even the simplest example file would look like
\score{
 \new Staff {
   \new Voice {
     c'1