Re: Rhythmic slashes, are just too address@hidden hard to do

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Rhythmic slashes, are just too address@hidden hard to do
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 09:22:00 +0100

Based on the discussion in November last year, I propose two solutions
\version "2.10.0"
rs = {
\once \override Rest #'stencil = #ly:percent-repeat-item-interface::beat-slash
 \once \override Rest #'thickness = #'0.48
 \once \override Rest #'slope = #'1.7
 r4
}

comp = #(define-music-function (parser location x) ( integer?)
   #{
   \override Rest #'stencil = #ly:percent-repeat-item-interface::beat-slash
   \override Rest #'thickness = #'0.48
   \override Rest #'slope = #'1.7
\repeat unfold $x { r4 } \revert Rest #'stencil
   #})

\score{
\relative c'{
 c d e f | \rs \rs \rs \rs | \comp #4 |

Note that the \comp function proposed by Brett didn't work in version 2.8 but
does work out of the box in version 2.10 and later.

The only main disadvantage I see with these solutions is that the duration of each beat is fixed, but I guess that quarter note beats are used in 90% of the cases and you could easily define separate macros for other durations. (A nice solution that requires a few lines of Scheme code would be to copy the value of Timing.beatLength
as the duration of each slash).

  /Mats

Rick Hansen (aka RickH) wrote:
Currently entering rhythmic slashes are a pain in the butt and have numerous
kludge solutions.  For example, if you simply change the noteheads to slash
and set the notes to middle-line "b" the visual result and spacing is
perfect.  However the day you need to transpose, the slashes are all over
the place, and it wreaks havoc with midi.  Also using the stencil override
kludge produces ugly slashes and the slashes cease to spread themselves out
properly like quarter notes or whatever time-wise within the measure (too
fat and they collide the bar).

Since a rhythmic slash is nothing more than a rest than looks like an
unstemmed note with a slash notehead.  LP should have a dedicated primitave
(context independant) command to produce a rhythmic slash of a certain
duration on any staff (just like a note) without having to write a new
context or switch to drum mode, etc, or all the various other work-arounds
and kludges that have been proposed here.  Can something like the following
be added easily:

{ rs4 rs rs rs }

To produce rhythmic slashes instead of rests that will space out properly
time-wise.  And look exactly like middle line (treble clef) "b" notes that
have the notehed overidden to slash and the stem (optionally) hidden?  Also
producing no midi sound or transpose problems.
Sorry for the rant, but I think this needs to be a "primitave" capability
syntax-wise just like entering a rest or note.  Rhythmic slashes are heavily
used in jazz/pop arrangements instead of percent measure rests used in
classical, and to date entering them into lp is a heartach.

thanks
Rick

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing