Switching between two- and three-staves piano score

From: Thomas Ruedas
Subject: Switching between two- and three-staves piano score
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:40:16 -0500

I'm trying to typeset a piece for solo piano where temporarily a third
staff is needed. This is not uncommon in more recent piano literature, but
I didn't find something suitable in the docs and archive. I did find the
following snippet in the snippet repository:
but it's not quite what I want. What I need is a full extra line in the
score, potentially extending over a substantial part of the piece where
it's used, but invisible/absent otherwise. Any ideas or hints for a trick
on how to do that?
Thomas Ruedas
Department of Terrestrial Magnetism
Carnegie Institution of Washington