Re: Tricks and overrides for vocal music

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Tricks and overrides for vocal music
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 13:47:47 +0100

Arvid Grøtting wrote:

Also, do you happen to know how to bring dynamic
marks a bit closer to the staff by default?

I'm not quite sure, but read the fine manual; it's probably in there.

The default is already fairly close, in my opinion. However, you can reduce
it somewhat more by reducing the padding:
\override DynamicLineSpanner #'padding = #0.1
(the default is 0.6).
Finally, are there any
other overrides you suggest for vocal pieces?

Oh, lots.

If you have "on-and-off" lyrics, you may want this:

\override Score.VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-first = ##t
This has been the default for lyrics for a long time now. No need to
specify it explicitly!
This of course depends on proper use of this:

    \context { \RemoveEmptyStaffContext }

Here's a few more tricks:

      \new Staff = "tenors" \with {
        \override VerticalAxisGroup #'keep-fixed-while-stretching = ##t
      } <<
        \clef "treble_8"
        \set Staff.instrumentName = \markup{
           vcenter "Tenor "
           \column {
             \hcenter "I"
             \hcenter "II"}}

You'll want #'keep-fixed-while-stretching to be ##t on any staff that has lyrics
attached above it, and #'keep-fixed-while-stretching = ##f on lyrics that are
above a staff, not below another.
This one only applies to the latest 2.11.x releases, not to 2.10!

Also, vocal voices tend to do things, ehm, differently, so I have these instead
of \oneVoice, \voiceOne and \voiceTwo:

songVoice = {
  \dynamicUp
  \phrasingSlurUp
  \slurUp
  \override TextScript #'direction = #1
}

songVoiceOne = {
  \songVoice
  \override RepeatTie #'direction = #1
  \voiceOne
}
This seems to set the same properties twice! As far as I can see, you can
just as well say

songVoiceOne = {
 \dynamicUp
 \override RepeatTie #'direction = #1
 \voiceOne
}

and get the same result.
songVoiceTwo = {
  \dynamicDown
  \phrasingSlurDown
  \override TextScript #'direction = #-1
  \override RepeatTie #'direction = #-1
  \voiceTwo
}
Again, you can remove some redundancy, since \voiceTwo already sets
the direction of phrasing slurs and text scripts.

   /Mats