RE: How to start Lilypond

From: Ed Ardzinski
Subject: RE: How to start Lilypond
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 22:48:24 +0000

> From: address@hidden

> I downloaded the Lilypond today, but the exe-file eludes me.
> How do I start the Lilypond programme?
> I use Microsoft xp.

You can read the manual, but I understand that it's sometimes tough to get started.  Lilypond works more like a programming language.  I am assuming that the newer version work similar to the version I use (2.6.5).

You create your script file with any text editor, but make sure it is plain text (a word processing program will add garbage that LP will not recognize).  Save the text file with a ".ly" extension, and if the program is installed correctly you should be able to double click on the file icon in Windows Explorer to invoke Lilypond.  You can also right click on the file and you should see "Generate PDF".

There is a command line you can use also, but it took me a while to find it so I could add it into my own editor.  From what I gather the newer LP versions have a decent editor that comes with the install, or maybe you have to go and get it separately?

i'm making a difference. Make every IM count for the cause of your choice. Join now!