Copyrights (was Re: No time/no bars)

From: Kevin Dalley
Subject: Copyrights (was Re: No time/no bars)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 08:31:28 -0700

You probably know about Mutopia's page on copyright.  Their rule of
thumb is:

      1. The composer, lyricist, arranger and editor all must have
      been dead for more than seventy years.

      2. The work must have been published prior to 1923.

http://www.mutopiaproject.org/contribute.html

Individual countries have different limits.  I would wonder whether
your score has enough contact by recent people to still be under
copyright.

If you contact Mutopia or Gutenberg, they can advise you further.

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenberg:The_Sheet_Music_Project