Re: modern, simple chord charts desired

From: Adam Monsen
Subject: Re: modern, simple chord charts desired
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 06:18:16 +0000 (UTC)

Adam Monsen <haircut <at> gmail.com> writes:
> Is it possible to create modern, simple chord charts with LilyPond? I'm
> thinking of the kind that are commonly used for sing-alongs that have
> simply lyrics and chord names above the words. Something like this:
>
>   D            G                D               A7
>   When I was a little bitty boy just up off the floor
>
>      D                  G               A7                 D
>   We used to go down to grandma's house every month end or so

I've got something working (chords+words without melody, "A7/D" "slash bass"
notation). Looks okay but has the following problems:

1. chords should be left-aligned above lyrical phrases so chord changes
happen at the right time
2. first line of first verse shouldn't be indented
3. beginning of second line seems to be cut off
4. how can I add headings to the sections?

Any help for this lowly Seattle musician would be appreciated!

RENDERED SHEET MUSIC:
http://img354.imageshack.us/my.php?image=featherbedhd4.png

LILYPOND SOURCE CODE:

\version "2.10.10"

\header {
  title = "Grandma's Feather Bed"
  meter = "Quick Old-Timey"
}

harmonies = \chordmode {
  d g d a:7
  \break
  d g a:7 d
  \break
}

text = \lyricmode {
  When_I_was_a little_bitty_boy just_up_off_the floor
  \break
  We_used_to_go_down_to grandma's_house every_month_end_or so
  \break
}

\score {
  <<