Re: How to bring two staves close enough together to allow for overprint

From: Maximilian Albert
Subject: Re: How to bring two staves close enough together to allow for overprint?
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 18:22:03 +0200

Trevor Bača schrieb:

> In the following snippet I want the two staves to be exactly 5 staff
> spaces apart even though this will cause the g'4 in the bass to
> overprint the c'4 in the treble. But it doesn't work.

In your example, you use a *pair* of two numbers to specify the vertical
positions because there is a dot in between the numbers:

  (0 . 5)

This seems to make sense because you want to position _two_ staves
relative to each other. However, the syntax also makes sense with three
or more staves, which is why lilypond interprets the given argument as a
*list*. Therefore if you remove the dot and write the argument as a
*list* of two objects, like this:

  (0 5)

then it works like a charm.

Cheers,