Resetting where a barline starts

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Resetting where a barline starts
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 10:23:16 -0400

I'm transcribing a piece that was originally barless, but in lilypond
terms it switches between 2/2 and 3/2 meters.  (Actually the 3/2 is
really a 3/4, since there are a lot of quarter notes, but I want it to
print in single-digit style as a 3, so I've entered it as "\time
3/2".)

My problem is that it's really undesirable for the line to break in
the middle of a group of 3 quarter notes.  But lilypond seems to think
that when I have:

\set Score.defaultBarType = "empty"
\time 2/2
a2 b
%lily thinks this is an invisible bar
\time 3/2
a4 b c  d
%Lily thinks the invisible bar is here
 e f
%I want lily to think the invisible bar is here
 g a b

that it's ok to break the line after the d, because that's three half
notes after the last measure.  I was hoping that saying:

\time 2/2
a2 b c
\time 3/2
\bar ""
a4 b c  d e f  g a b

would cause it to reset where lily thought the 3/2 bar started, but
that doesn't seem to be the case.

So does anyone have a good idea for how to deal with this?

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139