parts from score or score from parts?

From: steve berthiaume
Subject: parts from score or score from parts?
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 20:39:39 -0400

hello,

i need to do a bunch of three-horn arrangements of pop tunes; and it's better for me to check everything if all three staffs are on the same page in a score.  my first attempt was to write all the parts individually, then combine them into a score.  This seems to be the easiest way with my beginner skills, but is it also possible (and perhaps more efficient)to do this the other way around?  that is, write a 3-staff score in a single piece, then "extract" the parts?

thanks again; i'm really enjoying the program, and enjoying passing off .ly text files to my bandmates as finished parts, and waiting for their reaction! :-)

-steve