Re: chord fingerings and octavation

From: Daniel Leidisch
Subject: Re: chord fingerings and octavation
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 22:06:03 +0200

Ed Ardzinski <address@hidden> wrote on Thu,
Apr 12, 2007 at 07:41:52PM +0000:

> As primarily a bass player I realize that bass parts are
> written an octave higher than they actually are to avoid
> too many ledger lines below the staff.  Having never really
> had to read guitar music in standard notation I'm not sure
> if that's actually true.

Yes, guitar voices are written one octave higher than they sound.

> a treble clef stave.  Again, this comes from trial
> and error, and not wanting to have absurd ledger lines.
> But it is tough to put a guitar chord such as an open E on
> a single treble clef (since the voicing spans two octaves)
> and NOT have ledger lines.  At least from the perspective
> of my limited scoring experience.

Well, I used octavation in order to avoid much ledger lines.
Unfortunately, the chord fingerings, which are printed above the
staff, cross the 8va-----, mark. That's my main problem, since
I don't know how to move the fingerings up. And I guess that I
would have to move the chord symbols, too. But maybe there is some
other solution...

Any tips?

Daniel