Re: beginning-of-measure padding value?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: beginning-of-measure padding value?
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 10:08:23 -0400

Hi, Mats --

This is a typical situation where you want to use
\override Score.SpacingSpanner #'average-spacing-wishes = ##f

Thanks for that tip -- I'm finally "getting it" with regard to "average-spacing-wishes".

However, that doesn't fix the fact that Lilypond's spacing is generally too close at the beginning of measures.

For example, here's a snippet which has no key signature, but exhibits serious spacing problems in every bar, regardless of whether a time or key signature is present:

\version "2.11.11"
\include "english.ly"

\paper
{
        ragged-right = ##t
}

theMusic = \relative
{
        \time 4/4
        <c e g bf df>1\arpeggio
        <c e g bf df>2.\arpeggio <c e g>4\arpeggio
        af'8. af16 a4 a2
        \time 3/8 aff8. af16 a8
}

\score
{
        \theMusic
}

PNG image

Until about 2.9, I felt like each version of LIlypond required progressively less tweaking on my part to produce good-looking scores.
Since 2.9, it seems like it's required *more* work on my part.  =(

Cheers,
Kieren.