note collisions .... and \layout question

From: Steven Butner
Subject: note collisions .... and \layout question
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 18:41:45 -0700

I must admit to being quite confused about the proper setup of \score and \layout for vocal music. I am trying to typeset a 3-part men's vocal piece and the composer has drawn it out on a single bass clef staff ... i.e. 3 parts sharing the same staff.

My method for using Lilypond to typeset this is to type in the notes (music expressions) of the three voices separately, naming each of them One, Two, and Three respectively (per the composer's naming conventions). Then I use the \staff and \layout code below to put the three voices together (with lyrics) on a single staff.

\score {
\new StaffGroup <<
   \new Staff = men { <<
      \clef bass
      \new Voice = ten { \global \Three }
      \new Voice = bar { \global \Two }
      \new Voice = bas { \global \One }

   }
   \new Lyrics = "l3" \lyricsto "bas" \words

\layout {
  \context { \Score \override SeparationItem #'padding = #0.3 }
\context { \Staff \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(-3 . 3) }
  \context { \Staff \accepts "Lyrics" }
  \context { \Lyrics \override LyricSpace #'minimum-distance = #1.6 }
}

The resulting compilation results in many, many occurrences of the message
warning: ignoring too many clashing note columns

Indeed, I am getting a lot of flags and bars on top of others and, in general, quite a mess. There are some cases where two notes a small interval apart have their note heads essentially on top of each other as well. I've tried going into the source and marking it \noFlag for various notes ... and this helps, but there are so many of these collision errors that I feel I must be doing something that is rather basic wrong.

I've used Lilypond to typeset several pieces in the past without running into this problem .... but each seems structurally a bit different and, though I've read a lot of documentation, I've never had a good understanding of how to properly use the Staffs and Layout and Contexts.

Any suggestions of guidance on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm using lilypond version 2.8.0 running on Linux Fedora Core 6.

  Steve Butner,
  novice typesetter ....