Re: Can Lilypond export separate pdfs?

From: Andrea Valle
Subject: Re: Can Lilypond export separate pdfs?
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 19:16:03 +0200

Adam,

I haven't followed the thread in depth so sorry for eventual misconceptions.

So out of curiosity one day I checked out including one of my pieces as a pdf in a LaTeX document (which i couldn't get happening in Lilypond-LaTeX but could get happening in LaTeX) and it loaded way way quicker but as you pointed out to me in a previous post, you can only include graphics that are 1 page. thus my question about getting Lilypond to export more than one file for multi-page pieces.

I assume you have many multiple page pdfs generated by lily, and you want to recollect them in a global document, like a collection of pieces, am I right?
In the case LaTeX is not the good choice for complex typography at all. Just quit it, and so lilypond-book, which is intended mainly for musicological example. LaTeX still remains focused on scientific publications. ConTeXt, which is a much more modern and compact macro-package for TeX, is the right tool, as it allows you to quickly control all typographical dimensions. And it is pdf-native.

I've finished last night this:

Notation is with lily (wow). Global layout with ConTeXt (wow).
In the ConTeXt source I have a \copypage command which allow me to import (eventually scaled  etc) pages from pdf.
e.g.

\copypages[../scores/I.UTF.pdf][scale=1000] % 1000 means 100%

See here for all the possibilities:

More, if you're on macosx with seamlessy integrated pdf support, everything works in a breeze: e.g IPA support I used in the score requires TIPA fonts, actually only available for LaTeX. So I prepared a latex source file, rendered it, and copied and pasted with preview thus obtaining a pdf. The I included the pdf in ConTeXt.

Hope it helps

Best

-a-

PS: ConTeXt has a lilypond module which should allow you to include lily code. Never tried but it should work

well for now i guess I'll settle with seeing what happens when I \include more and more pieces.

adam