Making tails of 1/8-notes invisible?

From: Joyce Wilson
Subject: Making tails of 1/8-notes invisible?
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 13:54:17 -0600

Is there a way to make the tails of un-beamed 1/8-notes invisible in Lilypond?
A colleague and I are working on a transcription project which includes some
plainsong pieces notated in both medieval-style notation and in more
modern-looking notation, which has the unusual characteristic of using notes
that resemble beamed 1/2-notes to represent ligatures.  You can get an idea of
what we want the output to look like here:

http://www.box.net/shared/dttk0z54eq

My colleague has discovered how to get Lilypond to make note-heads white no
matter what the note-length is, so our first approach has been to represent the
beamed notes as 1/8-notes and the unbeamed ones as 1/4-notes, but we would
prefer to come up with a way that would allow us to maintain rhythmic integrity
in the Lilypond code (since beamed and unbeamed "1/2-notes" represent notes of
the same length).  This would simplify the creation of accompanying MIDI files,
among other benefits.  So if anyone knows of a way to make note-tails
invisible, I'd be very grateful to learn about it.

Thanks!
Joyce Wilson

=
USA Quality Glow Sticks
Our super size glow sticks are made in the USA today and glow 12 Hrs.
http://a8-asy.a8ww.net/a8-ads/adftrclick?redirectid=b74235832a8e8fe4eef737712197a870