jazz chords superscript

From: steve berthiaume
Subject: jazz chords superscript
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 21:26:37 -0400

i'm trying to define a set of custom chords for use in jazz charts, and i would like to be able to have the numbers (7, 9, 11, 13, etc) raised above the chord name.  I use Brandt-Roemer standardized chord notation, so my chords look like Cmi7, Cma9, Cdim, Cmi7b5 etc.

I've checked out the regression test, and it says to add a superscript, the number has to be preceded by \super.  i've tried this in the following example, and i get an 'unknown escaped string "\super"' error:

b4^\markup {G#mi \super "9"}

what am i doing wrong?